Zero waste sunscreens provide safe and eco-friendly protection from harmful UV rays.
Furthermore, zero waste sunscreens have plastic-free or eco-friendly packaging, which is a big deal considering only a small amount of plastic waste is ever recycled.
But we know you only want the best for your skin.
So we round up 13 of the best zero waste sunscreens for you, your family, and the planet based on:
- Ingredient safety and quality
- Reviews from other consumers
Feel free to check out our top 3 recommendations or continue reading below to discover more chemical-free and zero waste sunscreen options.
Ecotero’s Top 3 Zero Waste Sunscreens
|Zero Waste Sunscreen||Overview|
|Raw Elements Zero Waste Sunscreen||Organic natural ingredients
Zero waste reef safe sunscreen
Plastic-free aluminum tin container
|Seven Minerals Chemical-Free Sunscreen||Natural botanical ingredients
100% recycled plastic bottle
|Waxhead Non-Toxic Organic Sunscreen||Edible-grade ingredients
Cruelty-free and gluten-free
Travel-friendly aluminum tin container
Best Zero Waste Sunscreens
1. Raw Elements Plastic-Free Natural Sunscreen
- Organic and natural sunscreen
- SPF 30+ broad-spectrum protection
- Reef-safe, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and biodegradable
- Plastic-free aluminum tin container
Raw Elements sells a variety of plastic-free personal care products, and they have the best sunscreens in the market.
Raw Elements SPF 30+ broad-spectrum sunscreen is made with certified natural and organic ingredients and contains no synthetic chemicals, soy, gluten, or nuts.
Using broad-spectrum sunscreens is optimal as it protects you against UVA and UVB rays.
But what makes it a zero waste sunscreen?
It comes in a reusable, recyclable, plastic-free tin.
Raw Elements sunscreen is also reef-safe, cruelty-free, non-GMO, biodegradable, and safe for all ages, and an excellent chemical-free sunscreen for babies.
2. Seven Minerals Skin-Friendly Sunscreen Lotion
- Made using natural botanical ingredients
- Dermatologist-tested safe for sensitive skin
- Free from oxybenzone, parabens, and phthalates
- 100% recycled plastic bottle
This chemical-free sunscreen is made in the USA using plant-based, reef-safe ingredients.
It is also EWG’s best-rated non-mineral SPF 30 sunscreen.
If you’re unfamiliar with the EWG (aka Environmental Working Group), it is an American activist organization that advocates ethical, eco-friendly, and chemical-free products.
This kid-friendly sunscreen is strong enough to protect you from damaging sun rays yet gentle enough for delicate skin.
More importantly, it is free from oxybenzone, parabens, phthalates, and chemical-based active ingredients.
Oxybenzone can cause skin allergies, is a hormone disruptor, and hazardous to coral reefs. (see reference below)
And guess what?
It is bottled in 100% recycled plastic collected from the coastlines of Haiti, Honduras, and Mexico.
Hence, you’re not only protecting yourself from damaging sun rays, but you also help protect the ocean.
3. Waxhead Non-Toxic Organic Sunscreen
- Made using only 4 edible-grade ingredients
- Chemical-free sunscreen for babies and adults
- Hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, and gluten-free sunscreen
- Travel-friendly aluminum tin container
Waxhead sells one of the best zero waste sunscreens for all outdoor activities.
It is made using only 4 non-toxic ingredients: non-nano zinc oxide, coconut oil, beeswax, and cocoa powder.
Waxhead’s non-toxic sunscreen is free from all chemicals and icky ingredients such as oxybenzone, parabens, and petrochemicals.
It is also safe to use by your entire family and safe for corals, all marine environments, and waterparks.
4. EiR NYC Organic Sunscreen Stick for Face
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- Oxybenzone-free sunscreen stick
- Broad-spectrum SPF 50 protection
- Plastic-free container
Eir is a New York skincare brand that sells natural, clean, ethical, and eco-friendly products.
Eir’s zero waste sunscreen stick is made with a nourishing blend of all-natural organic ingredients loaded with antioxidants and fatty acids.
It provides your skin with a broad spectrum SPF 50 protection.
You might be thinking:
“What’s the difference between an SPF 30 to an SPF 50 sunscreen?”
A sunscreen with SPF 30 will protect you from around 96.7% of UVB rays, while a sunscreen with SPF of 50 can protect you from about 98% of UVB rays.
Eir NYC SPF 50 non-chemical sunscreen is also Oxybenzone and Octinoxate free, two of the chemicals often found in sunscreens that are harmful to corals and can cause coral bleaching.
So if you’re looking for a reef-safe, all-natural sunscreen that provides extra-UV protection in a sleek and sustainable stick design, this might be the best zero waste sunscreen for you.
5. Raw Love Natural Mineral Sunscreen
- Made with reef-friendly and skin-friendly ingredients
- Free of all toxic chemicals or synthetic fragrances
- Water-resistant and FDA compliant sunscreen
- Plastic-free packaging
Raw Love was founded by Jenna Davis, who wants to protect her sensitive skin (and tattoos) without harming the ocean and marine animals when going SNUBA diving.
Raw Love’s reef-friendly sunscreen is made with cruelty-free, natural, certified organic plant-based ingredients.
It is also free of all toxic chemicals, parabens, PABA, preservatives, or synthetic fragrances that are known to harm humans, marine animals, and coral reefs.
Hence, you get to enjoy an SPF 35 broad-spectrum sun protection without worrying about your skin and the ocean.
Raw Love is also Hawaiʻi’s first FDA compliant sunscreen company.
6. MANDA Organic SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Food-grade, all-natural and organic ingredients
- Free from oxybenzone and other toxic chemicals
- Contains Thanaka
- Bamboo and tin container
MANDA’s non-toxic sunscreen (aka sun paste) is one of the best organic chemical-free sunscreens for surfers, hikers, athletes, and anyone who loves to be outside or in the water.
It is made with natural organic ingredients, including “thanaka” derived from a tree native to Myanmar.
Thanaka is a natural cosmetic that has been used for over 2000 years by Burmese people to protect and beautify their skin.
It provides natural sun protection, is high in antioxidants, and has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-acne, and anti-aging properties.
MANDA’s natural sunscreen is also free from oxybenzone and other chemicals that can harm you, the coral reefs, and marine life.
It is safe to use by your entire family and is one of the best chemical-free sunscreens for the face and body.
And since we know you’d love to help reduce plastic waste, it comes in packaging made from bamboo and tin.
7. All Good Tinted Mineral Sunscreen
- Tinted to blend with most skin tones
- Made with zinc-oxide and organic botanicals
- Free of oxybenzone, parabens, and harmful additives
- Recyclable tin container
This SPF 50 reef-friendly sunscreen is made with zinc oxide with a blend of organic ingredients, including coconut oil and jojoba oil.
It effectively blocks UVA/UVB rays without leaving your skin greasy or clogging your pores.
This skin-friendly sunscreen is also tinted with iron oxides to blend with most skin tones and is free of chemical UV absorbers, parabens, and harmful additives.
All Good’s tinted mineral sunscreen comes in a plastic-free tin container.
8. Butter Me Up Organics Natural Sunscreen
- Made with safe and certified organic natural ingredients
- Free from any toxic chemicals
- Zero waste sunscreen for the whole family
- Recyclable glass container
This zero waste sunscreen is safe to use for babies, kids, and adults.
It is made with non-toxic and reef-safe ingredients, including non-nano zinc oxide, organic coconut oil, organic shea butter, and other botanicals.
Butter Me Up Organics sunscreen is also cruelty-free and palm-oil-free and contains no phthalates, sulfates, parabens, or oxybenzone.
It effectively reflects the harmful rays to keep you and your family safe and healthy while remaining gentle on the planet.
And yes, it comes in a 100% plastic-free container.
9. SurfDurt Original Reef-Safe Sunscreen
- Non-toxic, natural ingredients
- Reef-safe and cruelty-free sunscreen
- Formulated by a Ph.D. chemist
- Plastic-free bamboo container
SurfDurt’s reef-safe sunscreen is made with natural and sustainable ingredients.
It is produced in San Diego, California, through renewable solar energy facilities.
This eco-friendly sunscreen is also free from toxic chemicals and provides you with a broad spectrum SPF 30 protection while keeping the ocean and marine life safe.
It also came in a travel-friendly size and was housed in a stylish bamboo container.
Overall, SurfDurt is one of the best chemical-free sunscreens for kids and adults who love the outdoors.
10. SunButter Water Resistant Sunscreen
- Made with non-toxic, natural ingredients
- SPF 50 water-resistant and reef-safe sunscreen
- Certified vegan and plastic-free
- Made in Australia in a solar-powered factory
SunButter has one of the best zero waste sunscreens manufactured in Australia.
It is made from natural ingredients that don’t pollute the sea, aggravate your skin, or kill coral reefs.
The result is a reef-safe sunscreen that provides superior broad-spectrum protection for all skin types, including a baby’s sensitive skin.
SunButter was founded by two marine biologists with a mission to create an effective, water-resistant sunscreen that’s gentle for you and the ocean.
11. Little Hands Hawaii Organic Plastic-Free Sunscreen
- All-natural and organic ingredients
- Free from chemicals and preservatives
- Handmade in Hawaii
- Recyclable plastic-free container
Little Hands Hawaii is one of the best chemical-free sunscreens for kids.
Thanks to its all-natural organic ingredients, it provides an SPF 35+ broad-spectrum protection without harming the ocean and marine life.
This eco-friendly sunscreen is also handmade by Hawaiians and comes in a recyclable, plastic-free container.
12. Thrive Natural Body Mineral Sunscreen
- All-natural reef-safe body sunscreen
- Free from toxic chemicals and synthetic ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Recyclable tube container made from plants
Thrive has one of the best ocean-friendly sunscreens in the market today.
It is a regenerative plant-derived formula that protects you from harmful UV rays, helps reduce irritation, and repairs skin from sun exposure.
It is also cruelty-free, vegan, PABA-free, GMO-free, paraben-free, chemical-free, and has no synthetic colors, fragrances, or ingredients.
Another thing we love about Thrive?
They support rural farmers who produce their sunscreen ingredients through regenerative farming, restore degraded soil, and improve their livelihood.
13. Meow Meow Tweet Everyday Sunscreen
- Made with plant-based ingredients
- Free from toxic and harmful chemicals
- Vegan and Leaping Bunny certified sunscreen
- Refillable aluminum bottle
This reef-safe sunscreen provides superb UV protection without harming you and marine life.
It is made with safe ingredients, including non-nano zinc oxide blended with plant-based, moisturizing ingredients.
Meow Meow Tweet’s Everyday Sunscreen is also vegan and cruelty-free certified and comes in an aluminum refillable bottle.
Meow Meow Tweet also has other zero waste personal care products in their inventory, including one of the best zero waste deodorants in the market.
Final Thoughts on Zero Waste Sunscreens
Zero waste sunscreens are among the best zero waste personal products for people who love the beach and outdoors.
Unlike typical sunscreens, zero waste sunscreens are free from chemicals that can harm you, the ocean, and marine life.
They also have plastic-free containers and packaging, so using them will reduce the plastic waste you create.