Kudos for making the switch to eco-friendly insect repellents.
But we understand that while you want to live an eco-conscious lifestyle, you also don’t want to expose yourself (and your family) to the dangers of insect bites.
So in this article, we only feature eco-friendly bug sprays and insect repellents that are proven to work by other eco-conscious consumers.
Below are 15 insect repellents that are popular for keeping families insect-bite-free at home, outdoors, and during travels.
How do we choose the best eco-friendly insect repellents?
We preferred insect repellents that don’t contain DEET because they are less harmful to the environment.
Now, you might be wondering:
What is DEET, and why is it bad for the environment?
DEET (aka N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, or diethyltoluamide) is the most common active chemical ingredient in insect repellents worldwide.
However, while DEET is indeed very effective in keeping mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and other bugs away…
DEET is also not friendly to the planet.
For starters, DEET breaks down slowly and is one of the causes of mammalian toxicity, residue contamination of human food, and environmental pollution.
A recent U.S. Geological Survey report on water contaminants also listed DEET as one of the compounds most frequently found in streams.
And while it is a bit challenging to find effective DEET-free insect repellents that come in non-plastic containers, we do keep an eye for those that come in eco-friendly packaging and containers.
With this out of the way, here are 15 of the best eco-friendly insect repellents today.
|Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Balm||DEET-free insect repellent
Travel-size, packed in a recyclable tin can
|Sawyer Products Eco-Friendly Insect Repellent||Fragrance-free and DEET-free
Up to 12 hours of protection
Safe for use on clothing and accessories
|United by Blue Scout Citronella Candle||Handcrafted insect repellent
100% GMO-free soy wax
100 hour burn time
|SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug Repellent Cream||100% DEET-free bug repellent
No artificial dyes, sulfates, parabens, and chemicals
|Babyganics DEET-Free Bug Spray||Natural essential oils
Non-toxic and plant-based formula
Never tested on animals on lab animals
|REPEL Plant-Based Insect Repellent Spray||DEET-free, eco-friendly insect repellent
Plant-based ingredient recommended by the CDC
No sticky or greasy feel
|Blue Moon Elise Ain’t Buggin Me Insect Repellent Soap||100% plant-based ingredients
No harsh and synthetic chemicals
Biodegradable insect repellent soap
|Meow Meow Tweet Eco-Friendly Insect Repellent||Natural essential oils and certified organic ingredients
Safe for children over 2 years
Recyclable aluminum bottle
|PARA’KITO Mosquito & Bug Repellent Wristband||Wearable insect repellent
DEET-free and refillable
Waterproof and fully-adjustable
|US Organic DEET-Free Anti Bug Outdoor Spray||Organic DEET-Free insect repellent
Certified Cruelty Free
Manufactured in USDA and GMP-certified facilities
|Spritz All Natural Bug & Mosquito Repellent Spray||Natural insect repellent
Safe to use around kids and pets
DEET-free and smells great
|RiptGear DEET-Free Mosquito Patch Stickers||Citronella oil-infused mosquito patches
Natural, plant-based ingredients
Travel-friendly insect repellent
|California Baby Plant-Based Natural Bug Repellant Spray||DEET-Free insect repellent for kids
Organic and sustainably grown ingredients
Manufactured in facilities that utilize solar power
|All Terrain Herbal Armor Natural Insect Repellent||Natural oil-based formula
Cruelty-free and GMO-free
Specially designed for sensitive skin
|Badger DEET-Free Natural Bug Spray||Gluten-free, vegan, and DEET-free insect repellent
All-natural certified organic ingredients
Recyclable aluminum bottle
1. Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Balm
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Plant-based and DEET-free insect repellent
- Travel-size and packed in a recyclable tin can
- Free from dyes, synthetic fragrances, and harsh chemicals
- It comes in a plastic-free container
Murphy’s Naturals mosquito repellent balm is made with all-natural, plant-based ingredients.
More importantly, it is guaranteed DEET-free and contains no dyes, synthetic fragrances, and harsh chemicals that can cause allergies and irritations.
It is also designed to be travel-friendly and one of many households’ favorite eco-friendly insect repellents today.
You can easily carry it with you on trips, hikes, and camping.
2. Sawyer Products Eco-Friendly Insect Repellent
- Safe to use on your whole family
- Fragrance-free and DEET-free topical insect repellent
- Keeps mosquitoes, ticks, flies, and gnats away for up to 12 hours
- Top-rated eco-friendly bug repellent by WireCutter and New York Times
- Non-greasy and safe for use on clothing and accessories
This eco-friendly insect repellent is non-greasy, comfortable to wear, and safe to use for all your family members.
It is also DEET-free and keeps bugs away for up to 12 hours.
Moreover, its main ingredient, Picaridin, is not considered a skin irritant and is not a sensitizer.
3. United by Blue Scout Citronella Candle
- Handcrafted eco-friendly insect repellent
- Made of 100% GMO-free soy wax
- Features natural spruce and citronella oil scent
- 20 oz. candle with 100 hour burn time
- Effectively repels mosquitoes and other flying insects
United by Blue’s Scout Citronella Candle is made using 100% soy wax that is GMO-free.
It features refreshing spruce and citronella oil scent and comes in a recycled, reusable tin.
However, be careful when leaving lighted candles at home.
4. SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug Repellent Cream
- A 100% DEET-free bug repellent
- Made using edible, food-grade ingredients
- Free of artificial dyes, sulfates, parabens, and chemicals
- Safe for your family and mother Earth
- All-In-One insect repellent
This all-natural bug repellent is made with a proprietary blend of 16 essential oils and has a minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs away for up to 4 hours.
It is also organic, DEET-free, infant-safe, and made with non-toxic, edible ingredients.
But don’t let its gentle and safe formula fool you.
It works splendidly against black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
And guess what?
The No-Bite-Me is more than an eco-friendly bug repellent.
It is also an anti-itch cream and comes in an eco-friendly tin can.
Moreover, all SALLYEANDER products are 100% handmade from organic and locally sourced ingredients in the USA and are 100% cruelty-free.
5. Babyganics DEET-Free Bug Spray
- A 100% DEET-Free bug spray
- Made with natural essential oils
- Non-greasy, non-toxic, and plant-based formula
- Contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial fragrances, or dyes
- Never tested on animals on lab animals
This eco-friendly bug spray comes from the same company that sells one of the best eco-friendly laundry detergents for babies.
The Babyganics’ DEET-free bug spray is made with 100% natural essential oils, including – Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium.
It is super effective against mosquitoes and pesky bugs but is free from harsh chemicals in personal care products like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and artificial fragrances.
Moreover, it is also cruelty-free and has never been tested on lab animals.
6. REPEL Plant-Based Insect Repellent Spray
- A DEET-free, eco-friendly insect repellent
- Made with lemon eucalyptus oil, a plant-based ingredient recommended by the CDC
- Repels bugs and mosquitoes for up to 6 hours
- Features a refreshing scent without the usual bug spray smell
- It doesn’t leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy
Repel DEET-free lemon eucalyptus natural insect repellent provides superb insect-bite protection at home and during outdoor adventures.
It has a refreshing non-chemical scent and will literally “repel” bugs away for up to 6 hours.
Moreover, it provides insect protection without leaving your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
7. Blue Moon Elise Ain’t Buggin Me Insect Repellent Soap
- DEET-free insect repellent soap
- Made with 100% plant-based ingredients
- It contains no harsh and synthetic chemicals
- A 100% readily biodegradable soap
How would you like to use a bath soap that will not only keep you clean but will also keep bugs at bay?
The Blue Moon Elise Ain’t Buggin Me soap is a much-needed outdoor relief for adults and kids from mosquitos and ticks.
It is made with natural ingredients and contains no toxic and harsh chemicals that can harm your skin or pollute the environment.
Finally, this innovative eco-friendly insect repellent also comes in plastic-free packaging and will completely biodegrade in nature.
8. Meow Meow Tweet Eco-Friendly Insect Repellent
- Made with natural essential oils and certified organic ingredients
- Free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances
- Safe for children over two years of age
- Pet and environment-friendly insect repellent
- It comes in a recyclable aluminum bottle
Meow Meow Tweet’s version of eco-friendly insect repellents is made using natural and sustainable ingredients.
It is also palm-oil-free, vegan, and certified cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny.
Moreover, it is safe to use around kids and pets and can be sprayed directly into your skin, hair, and clothes.
Finally, this eco-friendly insect repellent comes in a recyclable aluminum bottle to reduce single-use plastic waste.
Besides their eco-friendly insect repellent, Meow Meow Tweet is also known for its excellent zero waste deodorants.
9. PARA’KITO Mosquito & Bug Repellent Wristband
- Wearable insect repellent
- DEET-free and refillable
- Refills are made with natural essential oils
- Waterproof and fully-adjustable
What looks like a stylish wristband is actually an insect repellent that protects for up to 15 days.
The PARA’KITO Mosquito & Bug Repellent Wristband comes with 2 refill pellets and features a hook and loop closure system so you can adjust it according to your comfort.
Each PARA’KITO refill pellet fits safely and snugly in the mesh pocket on the outside of your PARA’KITO wristband.
The refills are made with natural essential oils that keep insects away and are 100% DEET-free.
10. US Organic DEET-Free Anti Bug Outdoor Spray
- Organic DEET-Free insect repellent
- Proven 98-100% repellency against Yellow Fever Mosquitoes
- Certified Cruelty Free Product by Leaping Bunny
- Manufactured in USDA certified and GMP-certified facilities
This DEET-free eco-friendly insect repellent is proven to be 98-100% effective against yellow fever-causing mosquitoes.
It is also made using certified organic production in USDA certified and GMP-certified facilities and safe to use by your entire family; the perfect eco-friendly bug spray for home.
Moreover, this insect repellent and its ingredients have never been tested on laboratory animals.
11. Spritz All Natural Bug & Mosquito Repellent Spray
- 100% natural insect repellent
- Repels all kinds of mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, and flies
- Safe to use by the entire family and around pets
- DEET-free, moisturizing and smells great
- Made in the USA
This product is one of the best eco-friendly mosquito repellents for yards or indoors since it is safe to use by adults and kids.
You can also use it around pets, and it doesn’t harm the environment.
The Spritz eco-friendly bug and mosquito repellent is also moisturizing and made with 100% natural ingredients.
12. RiptGear DEET-Free Mosquito Patch Stickers
- Citronella oil-infused mosquito patches
- Made using natural, plant-based ingredients
- DEET-free and safe to use by kids and adults
- Easy to use and travel-friendly insect repellent
RiptGear’s mosquito patch stickers are made with natural, plant-based ingredients.
It is also DEET-free and made for both kids and adults.
Just stick it on your clothes, tables, chairs, or accessories to keep mosquitoes and insects away.
Moreover, this eco-friendly insect repellent is designed to work in all weather conditions, making it a perfect companion for hiking, camping, traveling, and outdoor activities.
13. California Baby Plant-Based Natural Bug Repellant Spray
- DEET-Free insect repellent for kids
- Made with organic and sustainably grown natural ingredients
- Free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances
- Contains no soy, gluten, dairy, or nuts
- Manufactured in facilities that utilize solar power
This eco-friendly bug repellent for kids is made with natural, organic, and sustainably grown ingredients.
It is from the same company that sells one of the best eco-friendly baby shampoos.
Moreover, it is DEET-free and contains no harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances that might cause allergies on sensitive skin or pollute the environment.
Hence, it is both guaranteed safe to use as well as eco-friendly.
This insect repellent is also free from soy, gluten, dairy, or nuts.
14. All Terrain Herbal Armor Natural Insect Repellent
- DEET-free insect repellent
- Natural oil-based formula
- Cruelty-free and GMO-free
- Specially designed for sensitive skin
- It won’t cause damages to clothes, accessories, or camping gears
The All Terrain Herbal Armor uses six essential oils (soybean, citronella, peppermint, cedar, lemongrass, and geranium) to protect you from mosquitoes and other pesky insects.
It is also DEET-free and GMO-free, providing safe, effective, and environmentally-friendly skincare protection using only natural ingredients.
This eco-friendly insect repellent is also safe to use by adults and children alike.
15. Badger DEET-Free Natural Bug Spray
- A gluten-free, cruelty-free, vegan, and DEET-free insect repellent
- Made with all-natural certified organic ingredients
- It doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals or petroleum products
- It comes in a recyclable aluminum bottle
- TSA-approved travel size
This all-natural bug spray is one of the most popular eco-friendly insect repellents on Amazon.
It is made with organic and natural ingredients and doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals, DEET, or petroleum products.
Moreover, it is also vegan, has not been tested on laboratory animals, and is gluten-free.
The Badger natural bug spray also comes in an aluminum bottle and is available in TSA-approved travel size so you can take it with you when boarding a plane.
We hope this list has given you good eco-friendly insect repellent options to keep you safe from bug bites at home and outdoors.
But we would love to hear from you too.
Which of the eco-friendly insect repellents above do you like best?
Do you know other eco-friendly insect repellents that should be included on this list?
Kindly let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
- The green take on insect repellents and sunscreens
- Insect repellents: A silent environmental chemical toxicant to the health
- National Pesticide Information Center – Picaridin