Switching to a zero waste mouthwash is one way to achieve a zero waste dental care routine.
However, we understand that not everyone wants (nor has the time) to make their own DIY zero waste mouthwash recipe at home.
So we round up 13 of the best zero waste mouthwash you can buy and readily use.
Our selection includes mouthwashes made with sustainable, organic, or natural ingredients, and we prioritize those that come in plastic-free or eco-friendly packaging.
And since you don’t want to risk having a bad breath while adopting a more sustainable lifestyle…
All the mouthwashes featured below are proven to work splendidly in providing a clean, minty fresh breath.
So without further ado, here are some of the best zero waste mouthwash options for you…
1. Georganics Natural Zero Waste Mouthwash Tablets
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- No chemical compounds or synthetic flavorings
- Vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, and fluoride-free mouthwash tablets
- It comes in a recyclable glass container and aluminum lid
Georganics zero waste mouthwash tablets are made with the highest quality of natural and organic ingredients.
Georganics is the same company that makes one of the best zero waste toothpaste.
It also doesn’t contain gluten or fluoride and is suitable for vegans!
These mouthwash tablets are specially formulated to absorb and polish away stains naturally.
They reduce plaque, neutralize odor, and leave you with cleaner and fresher breath – zero waste style!
Georganics is wholly dedicated to reducing the environmental impact of its products.
Georganics zero waste mouthwash is plastic-free, comes in compostable packaging, and is housed in recyclable glass with an aluminum lid.
Why consider using mouthwash tablets?
Mouthwash tablets are one of the best zero waste mouthwash today as they consume less water in production than a liquid mouthwash.
Besides unnecessary waste and consumption, mouthwash tablets are also lighter, creating fewer emissions from shipping.
2. Great Oral Health OraRestore
- Dentist-formulated liquid toothpaste & mouthwash
- Proprietary blend of all-natural essential oils
- 100% free from additives, sugar, gluten, and lactose
- It comes in a special, amber-colored glass bottle
OraRestore is a dentist-formulated zero waste mouthwash made in a top manufacturing facility in the US.
It can be used as a toothpaste (or together with your favorite toothpaste) or mouthwash after eating, drinking, or as a breath freshener in the morning.
The Great Oral Health’s OraRestore effectively kills harmful bacteria that cause bad breath without harming the good bacteria your mouth needs.
It contains absolutely zero chemicals, glycerine, or drying alcohol and is 100% free of any additives, sugar, gluten, and lactose.
OraRestore is also vegan friendly and comes in an amber-colored glass bottle to protect and preserve its ingredients.
3. Cleaning Time Edible Mouthwash Powder
- 100% natural zero waste mouthwash powder
- Travel-friendly and portable size
- Ready to use without water
- It doesn’t contain alcohol, SLS, BPA, and gluten
This innovative zero waste mouthwash powder is made with 100% all-natural ingredients.
And the best part?
You can use it anytime, anywhere, without looking for a bathroom or a sink to spit out.
Cleaning Time is an edible powder mouthwash.
Just pour one sachet evenly in your mouth, swallow it after 10 seconds, and you can enjoy a fresh minty breath wherever you are!
But more than oral freshness, Cleaning Time kills up to 92% of cavity germs and saves more than 72% of good bacteria in the mouth.
It is also SLS-Free, BPA-Free, Gluten-Free, Alcohol-Free, and comes in a nonplastic container.
4. Dr. Ginger’s Zero Waste Mouthwash Tablets
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- Free from fluoride, alcohol, and parabens
- Non-GMO, cruelty-free, and vegan mouthwash
- It comes in a recyclable aluminum tin container
Dr. Ginger’s mouthwash tablets are made using nontoxic and natural ingredients.
It also doesn’t contain fluoride, alcohol, parabens, and other harmful ingredients found in many personal care products.
Moreover, it is designed to be travel-friendly.
This zero waste mouthwash comes in a tiny chewable tablet form and is housed in a portable aluminum tin container.
You can easily slip it into your purse or backpack for trips and camping.
5. OraWellness Healthy Mouth Blend
- Made using all-natural and USDA-certified organic ingredients
- Eco-friendly mouthwash and toothpaste alternative
- Gluten-free and vegan oral care product
- It comes in a recyclable glass bottle
This zero waste mouthwash alternative is made from organic essential oils.
It is proven effective in detoxifying your mouth to help reverse tooth decay, gum infection, and sensitivity.
And guess what?
You can use it as both toothpaste and mouthwash.
OraWellness Healthy Mouth Blend is nontoxic, fluoride-free, and doesn’t contain SLS or gluten.
It is also formulated to be vegan friendly and comes in a glass bottle.
6. Humankind Zero Waste Mouthwash Tablets
- Made with natural ingredients
- Vegan, gluten-free, and ethically-made
- Refillable zero waste mouthwash
- It comes in plastic-free packaging
The zero waste mouthwash tablets by Humankind are made using natural and vegan-friendly ingredients.
It also doesn’t contain alcohol (which can over-dry your mouth), so you get a quality clean and fresh breath without the sting of traditional mouthwash formulas.
Humankind’s zero waste mouthwash also naturally balances your mouth’s pH.
It is a natural mouthwash reinvented as a must-have eco-friendly travel product that helps save our planet from single-use plastic.
Moreover, you can order refills when you run out.
Humankind mouthwash tablet refills are shipped in a 100% compostable pouch.
7. Lumineux Oral Essentials Mouthwash
- Plant and mineral-based mouthwash
- Clinically proven to enhance and protect the oral microbiome
- Contains no fluoride, SLS, dye, GMO, BPA, and alcohol
- First mouthwash in the US to receive a nontoxic seal
Lumineux Oral Essentials mouthwash is the first in the US to receive the coveted nontoxic seal.
It has been tested in the strictest lab globally for toxicity and has proven safe to use daily.
This nontoxic mouthwash is made using only plant-based and natural minerals and dentist-formulated without harsh chemicals.
It is very effective in neutralizing the toxins of harmful bacteria in your mouth that cause bad breath while protecting good bacteria to maintain a balanced and healthy ecosystem in the mouth.
8. Elementa Nano Silver Mouthrinse
- Fluoride-free and alcohol-free mouth rinse
- It contains nanosilver alkaline to neutralize acids and maintain pH balance
- It comes in a recyclable aluminum tube
- Cruelty-free; clinical tests conducted on humans
Elementa’s zero alcohol mouth rinse uses nanosilver, xylitol, and plant-based ingredients to neutralize harmful bacteria in your mouth effectively.
It is also proven to help whiten your teeth, protect your gum line, all without harsh chemical detergents, SLS, or alcohol.
Moreover, this nontoxic oral rinse contains calcium to boost stronger enamel and remineralization.
And for vegans, this product has zero animal testing and is certified cruelty-free.
It also comes in a refillable aluminum tube to reduce single-use plastic in landfills.
9. Dr. Arenander’s Oral Care Formulas Organic Mouthwash
- Made with certified organic and all-natural ingredients
- Non-GMO natural mouthwash
- Contains no glycerin fillers, alcohol, chemicals, or preservatives
- It comes in a recyclable, lead-free glass
This mouthwash is made using certified organic, natural, and non-GMO verified ingredients.
It contains no glycerin fillers to coat your teeth, alcohol, artificial flavors, and harsh chemicals.
And besides providing fresh breath, Dr. Arenander’s organic mouthwash can also help stop gum recession, help reduce gum inflammation, pain and sensitivity, infection, and dental plaque.
Moreover, this natural oral care product is made fresh in small batches to minimize unnecessary waste and energy consumption.
It also comes in eco-friendly, lead-free glass.
10. Dr. H & Co Dentist Formulated Mouthwash
- Made with all-natural herbal formula
- Vegan and gluten-free mouthwash
- It contains no harsh chemicals, artificial flavors, or colors
- Bottled in eco-friendly glass
This zero waste mouthwash neutralizes bacteria, obliterates bad breath, and supports healthy gums and teeth.
It is made with 100% plant-based formula, completely natural, nontoxic, and sugar-free, so it is super safe to use even for sensitive gums.
Moreover, Dr. H. & Co.’s herbal mouthwash is handcrafted in small batches and comes in a recyclable glass bottle.
11. Lucky Teeth Organic Mouthwash
- Made using natural and organic ingredients
- Contains no alcohol, sugar, fluoride, glycerin, or gluten
- Vegan and cruelty-free mouthwash
- Bottled in a recyclable glass container
Lucky Teeth’s zero waste mouthwash uses essential oils to prevent gum disease, inflammation, bleeding, and gum and teeth sensitivity.
It is made with natural, nontoxic ingredients, so it is safe for daily use.
And to make mouth washing easier for you, this product comes with a beautiful bamboo cup to dispense liquid from the bottle.
It also comes in a glass bottle and is packaged and shipped using 100% plastic-free materials.
12. Active Wow Natural Chewable Mouthwash Tabs
- Made from natural ingredients
- Free from SLS, paraben, fluoride, alcohol, and sugars
- Chewable and travel-friendly mouthwash
- Bottled in a recyclable glass container
This zero waste mouthwash is made from all-natural ingredients – baking soda, peppermint, and spirulina.
It is gentle (doesn’t sting your mouth) yet very effective in neutralizing bad breath.
Place one tab in your mouth and gently chew to activate, swish for 10-30 seconds to clean and freshen.
Active Wow’s natural mouthwash is also free from SLS, paraben, fluoride, alcohol, sugars, and other chemicals that can harm you and your family.
It also comes in an eco-friendly glass bottle container.
13. Marvis Strong Mint Mouthwash Concentrate
- Concentrated mouthwash formula
- Made with natural and nontoxic ingredients
- Vegan and alcohol-free mouthwash
- It comes in a glass container
Marvis concentrated mouthwash is formulated to kill germs and neutralize odor-causing bacteria without stripping or irritating your teeth and gums.
And since it is a concentrated formula, this tiny bottle goes a long way!
Moreover, a concentrated mouthwash is lighter, so it is responsible for far less emissions during shipping.
To use, simply dilute 1 part of Marvis concentrated mouthwash in 4 parts of water.
Rinse twice a day for 30 seconds after brushing and enjoy a long-lasting minty freshness without harsh chemicals.
Is mouthwash bad for the environment?
Most commercial mouthwashes contain ingredients that can harm you and pollute the water systems.
For example, many mouthwashes today contain SLS and formaldehyde, which are harmful to humans and are also known to be toxic to organisms in aquatic environments.
Moreover, most mainstream mouthwashes today come in single-use plastic containers that have nowhere else to go but in landfills and incinerators.
Are zero alcohol mouthwash better?
Alcohol in mouthwash can cause an unpleasant burning sensation.
So if you have sensitive gums, you should seek alcohol-free mouthwash for a gentler rinse.
Moreover, alcohol is a drying agent, and it can dry out your mouth, which can lead to worsened bad breath.
And on a more serious matter, alcohol in mouthwashes can cause extreme illness if accidentally swallowed by kids and teens.
Should you use mouthwash before or after brushing?
There isn’t a definitive answer to whether it is best to use mouthwash before or after brushing your teeth.
However, some sources recommend using mouthwash after brushing and flossing your teeth.
In contrast, others say to avoid mouthwash right after brushing since this may wash away the fluoride from your toothpaste.
The same is true for the question: should you use mouthwash in the morning or night?
While most of us use our favorite mouthwash in the morning, rinsing right before bed also helps prevent harmful oral bacteria action while you sleep.
So it really is up to your own preference when you feel the need to rinse and gargle.
But to be sure, you can consult a dental care practitioner for professional advice.
What is the best zero waste mouthwash?
For us at Ecotero, the best zero waste mouthwash is made with nontoxic and sustainable ingredients, much like the ones we featured above.
And for more sustainable options, choose a mouthwash that comes in eco-friendly or plastic-free containers.
Switching to a zero waste mouthwash will allow you to keep your fresh breath whenever and wherever without feeling guilty for the planet.
Zero waste mouthwashes are eco-friendly dental products made with safe, sustainable, and planet-friendly ingredients.
Furthermore, zero waste mouthwashes come in either plastic-free or eco-friendly containers.
Anyways, which of the zero waste mouthwash above do you want to try first?