Zero waste makeup removers are the perfect partner for your favorite zero waste makeup brands.
Unlike many typical makeup removers that comes in single-use plastic packaging, zero waste makeup removers provides effective yet Earth-friendly makeup removal sessions.
They can even help you save money!
Unfortunately, not every makeup remover advertised as “zero waste” is truly eco-friendly.
As you may already know, the total environmental impact of a product goes beyond single-use plastic and eco-friendly packaging alone.
What to look for when shopping for Genuine Zero Waste Makeup Removers?
- Natural: Makeup removers containing naturally-derived ingredients from plants, animals, and other naturally occurring substances. They are free from synthetic ingredients that might cause health issues and pollution.
- Organic: Makeup removers that use natural ingredients grown without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and chemicals that might harm a person’s health and the environment.
- Palm-free: Tropical rainforests are destroyed in some regions for palm tree plantations, resulting in tons of CO2 emissions, destruction of natural habitats, and biodiversity loss.
- Cruelty-free: Makeup remover and its ingredients are not tested on poor bunnies and other animals.
- Plastic-free: Beauty products have non-plastic, recyclable, compostable, and biodegradable containers.
- Free from harsh chemicals: Look for cosmetics and skincare products that doesn’t contain harsh ingredients that can harm you and pollute the planet.
With these things in mind, below are 12 zero waste makeup removers that are proven to remove makeup easily with the least impact on the environment.
|Zero Waste Makeup Removers||Best Features|
|Greenzla Reusable Bamboo Makeup Remover Pads||100% organic zero waste makeup remover pads
USDA certified bamboo cotton fabric
OEKO-TEX standards compliant
|Ethique Eco-Friendly Makeup Remover||Natural, plant-based ingredients
Palm oil free, vegan and cruelty-free
Doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
|EcoRoots Natural Zero Waste Makeup Remover||Natural and organic ingredients
Vegan and cruelty-free
Recyclable glass bottle and pump
|Nutiva Organic Hemp Oil||USDA certified organic
Free from harmful chemicals
Vegan and gluten-free
|Shopper Goods Makeup Remover Sponge||100% natural cellulose fibers
Washable, reusable, and biodegradable
30-day money-back guarantee
|Cliganic USDA Organic Jojoba Oil||USDA certified organic Jojoba oil
Vegan and Cruelty-free
24,300+ positive reviews on Amazon
|La Foglia Lavender Makeup Remover||100% natural and organic ingredients
Makeup remover and a full-body moisturizer in one
Recyclable non-plastic container
|The Original MakeUp Eraser||Equal to 3,600 makeup wipes
It can last for 3 to 5 years
Cruelty-free and vegan
|One Love Organics Makeup Remover||Natural and certified organic ingredients
Free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrance
Facial cleansing oil and makeup remover in one
|Beauty by Earth Natural Makeup Remover||Natural and organic ingredients
Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free and vegan
Non-greasy and hydrating
|Province Apothecary Makeup Remover||Certified vegan and cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny
Paraben-free, palm oil free, and synthetic fragrance-free
Recyclable glass bottle
|Uppwell Reusable Organic Makeup Remover Pads||Made with organic materials
100% plastic free packaging
Replaces up to 15, 000 disposable cotton pads
|Good ol' Soap and Water||The best zero waste makeup remover in this list|
1. Greenzla Reusable Bamboo Makeup Remover Pads
- 20 pieces of 100% natural organic makeup remover pads
- USDA certified bamboo cotton fabric
- OEKO-TEX standards compliant
- Washable and reusable
- Plastic-free, biodegradable and compostable
With over 9,000 positive reviews on Amazon, this zero waste makeup remover pad is one to beat.
Greenzla’s reusable makeup remover pads are made from 100% organic, responsibly sourced USDA certified bamboo cotton fabric that complies with rigorous OEKO-TEX standards.
OEKO-TEX test textiles and leather for harmful substances and certify the production facilities’ environmentally and socially responsible production conditions.
This reusable makeup remover pad is super soft and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive, dry, or oily skin.
It effectively removes makeup, foundation, or lipstick without harsh chemicals, leaving your skin smooth, soft, and clear.
And as the name suggests, it can also be washed/rewashed, dried, and reused repeatedly.
And when it’s finally time to retire this zero waste makeup remover pad, you can simply toss it in a compost bin as it is biodegradable.
Greenzla’s zero waste makeup wipes are ideal for busy and active people that love to wear makeup on the go.
2. Ethique Eco-Friendly Face Cleanser & Makeup Remover
- Multi-purpose makeup remover and facial cleansing bar
- Natural, plant-based ingredients
- Palm oil free, vegan and cruelty-free
- Doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
- Plastic-free and compostable packaging
Ethique is a popular brand that sells zero waste personal care products.
The company’s zero waste makeup remover bar is made with natural and plant-based ingredients.
Its gentle formula of cocoa butter, kokum butter, coconut oil, castor oil, and sweet orange essential oil makes it a wonder bar that is both a face cleanser, moisturizer, and makeup remover for all skin types.
It deeply cleanses and leaves behind a nice layer of hydration without being slick or greasy.
It is free from harsh chemicals, palm oil free, vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in compostable non-plastic packaging.
Ethique also claims to set aside 20% of its profit every year to fund projects and charities that help protect the planet.
3. EcoRoots Natural Zero Waste Makeup Remover
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Paraben and phthalate-free
- Recyclable glass bottle and pump
- Plastic-free packaging and shipping
This gentle yet effective zero waste makeup remover from EcoRoots is made with natural and organic ingredients, including hemp seed oil, sea buckthorn, rosemary, and peppermint.
It is very efficient in removing dirt, oil, and all kinds of makeup without stripping your face of natural oils.
It is also non-comedogenic (won’t clog or block the pores on your skin), vegan, cruelty-free, contain no synthetic colors and fragrance, and free from harsh chemicals.
For a zero waste beauty and skincare routine, this natural makeup remover from EcoRoots is one that you shouldn’t miss out on.
4. Nutiva Organic Hemp Oil
- USDA certified organic
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Hemp is a very sustainable crop
- Recyclable BPA-free packaging
One of the best zero waste makeup removers you can use is natural hemp seed oil because it can dissolve waxes and oil.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties, moisturizing, and is very beneficial to your skin due to the vitamins it contains.
Nutiva’s hemp oil is USDA certified organic, free from harmful chemicals, vegan, gluten-free, cold-pressed, and comes in recyclable BPA-free packaging.
This product uses sustainably grown non-GMO hemp seeds.
Hemp is a highly sustainable crop, even more sustainable than bamboo, makes it fitting as a raw material source for one of the zero waste makeup remover.
5. Shopper Goods Natural Compressed Cellulose Makeup Remover Sponge
- 50pcs of eco-friendly makeup removers
- Made with 100% natural cellulose fibers
- Free of harsh chemicals and fragrances
- Washable, reusable, and biodegradable
- 30-day money-back guarantee
This zero waste makeup remover sponge is made with 100% natural cellulose fibers and is free of harsh chemicals and fragrances.
It is perfect for all skin types and provides a gentle yet effective deep facial cleansing.
Just add water to hydrate the sponge, and you can use it for pore cleansing, removing dirt, excess oil, facial masks, and of course, eliminating all kinds of makeup particles.
Shopper Goods’s natural compressed cellulose makeup remover comes in plastic-free packaging and is washable, reusable, and biodegradable.
A single sponge can last between one and two weeks of daily use.
6. Cliganic USDA Organic Jojoba Oil
- USDA certified organic Jojoba oil
- Vegan and Cruelty-free
- Over 24,300 positive reviews on Amazon
- Full refund money-back guarantee
Made with only one ingredient, Cliganic Jojoba Oil is 100% USDA organic, pure, and natural.
It contains no additives, alcohol, no added fragrance, not diluted, and non-GMO.
Cliganic’s USDA Organic Jojoba Oil is a zero waste makeup remover rich in vitamins and minerals. It is also vegan, cruelty-free, and tested for purity by a 3rd Party Lab.
This pure organic oil is bottled in the USA in a glass container.
7. La Foglia Lavender Makeup Remover
- Made in the USA
- 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Makeup remover and a full-body moisturizer in one
- It doesn’t contain harsh chemicals like SLS and parabens
- Recyclable non-plastic container
This zero waste makeup remover cream is made in the USA using 100% organic ingredients.
It’s main ingredients include organic coconut oil, organic avocado oil, organic beeswax, and organic lavender essential oil.
You can use it daily to remove makeup and as an overnight face and body cream that gently cleanses, moisturize, and hydrates your skin.
The refreshing lavender scent will provide a relaxing and soothing aroma.
This organic makeup remover doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients and synthetic chemicals, so that it can be used even by those with very sensitive skin.
La Foglia’s makeup remover cream comes in a recyclable non-plastic container.
8. The Original MakeUp Eraser
- Erases all makeups and exfoliates the skin
- Equal to 3,600 makeup wipes
- It can last for 3 to 5 years
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Hypoallergenic and contains no harsh chemicals
Did you know that disposable makeup wipes are one of the most wasteful products in the world?
Now, you can help minimize waste and still effectively remove makeup safely with the Makeup Eraser.
The Original MakeUp Eraser is a sustainable and zero waste makeup remover cloth that can erase all makeup with just water – including waterproof mascara, eyeliner, foundation, lipstick, and more!
The shorter fiber side is for erasing makeup with a gentle circular motion, while the opposite side with longer fiber is to exfoliate the skin.
It contains no harsh chemicals, cruelty-free, vegan, and hypoallergenic. It is also machine washable using both hot and cold water.
A single MakeUp Eraser is advertised to be equal to 3,600 makeup wipes and can last between 3 to 5 years. What a money saver!
9. One Love Organics Beauty Cleansing Oil + Makeup Remover
- Natural and certified organic ingredients
- Free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrance
- Facial cleansing oil and makeup remover in one
- Easy to use
How would you like to have your facial cleansing oil and makeup remover in just one bottle?
One Love Organics’ cleansing oil and zero waste makeup remover remove not only every tiny bit of makeup on your face but also dirt and any other impurities.
Its gentle formula is suitable even for sensitive skin and helps restore its moisture and pH balance.
Just warm 1 to 2 pumps between your hands and apply to your face. Add warm water, massage into delicate milk, then rinse clean.
One Love’s Beauty Cleansing Oil + Makeup Remover is made with natural and certified organic ingredients, certified cruelty-free, and comes in a recyclable container.
10. Beauty by Earth Natural Makeup Remover
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free and vegan
- Non-greasy and hydrating makeup remover
- It doesn’t contain harsh and synthetic chemicals
This natural makeup remover gets rid of eye and face makeup quickly without damaging your skin.
Beauty by Earth’s natural makeup remover is crafted with a carefully chosen combination of natural ingredients that effectively clears away sweat, oil, dirt, makeup, and any other chemical buildup in your face.
It is also Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free, vegan, paraben-free, and made in the USA.
This eco-friendly skincare product removes even the most stubborn waterproof mascara and cosmetics without leaving your skin dry.
11. Province Apothecary Moisturizing Oil Cleanser + Makeup Remover
- Locally sourced natural and organic ingredients
- Safe to use even for sensitive skin
- Certified vegan and cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny
- Paraben-free, palm oil free, and synthetic fragrance-free
- Recyclable glass bottle
This zero waste makeup remover and facial cleanser from Province Apothecary is made using only natural and locally sourced organic ingredients from Canadian provinces.
This gentle yet effective formula is hand blended in Canada in small batches and effectively removes dirt, make-up, and pollution without clogging pores and disrupting the natural pH of your skin.
This skincare product features natural and organic ingredients like jojoba oil, sunflower, avocado, raspberry seed, and primrose.
It is free from parabens, synthetic fragrances, carcinogens, dyes, alcohol, solvents, pesticides, palm oil, petroleum by-products, and common irritants, making it ideal for all skin types.
It is also certified vegan and cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
Province Apothecary’s makeup remover comes in a recyclable glass bottle and is shipped in plastic-free materials.
12. Uppwell Reusable Organic Makeup Remover Pads
- Made with organic cotton and bamboo materials
- 100% plastic free packaging
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Replaces up to 15, 000 disposable cotton pads
- Each set comes with exfoliating gloves, laundry bag, and spa headband
Uppwell is a newer eco-friendly brand but they sure know how to bring the green in makeup removing.
These reusable makeup remover pads are made with organic cotton and bamboo fibers.
They are soft and cleanses deeply minus the harsh ingredients and chemical processes.
These eco-friendly makeup pads are also vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in a 100% plastic free packaging.
Uppwell also claims that a single set of this zero waste makeup remover kit can replace up to 15,000 disposable cotton pads.
That’s a lot of potential trash and extra expenses avoided!
Bonus – Soap and Water (That’s right)
Why spend money when you can remove your makeup with two of the most basic things you already have at home?
Depending on the makeup product you’re on, you can simply use water and bath soap to cleanse your face and nothing else.
Zero waste. Zero extra expenses.
However, make sure that you don’t have waterproof makeup on.
Otherwise, you might risk irritating your skin with excessive rubbing or get pimple breakouts from clogged pores due to unremoved makeup debris.
Which makeup remover ingredients you must avoid?
- Parabens: Synthetic chemicals used as preservatives and anti-bacterial agents linked to breast cancer and can harm the environment and marine organisms.
- Phthalates: Can cause reproductive toxicity in humans and animals.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): A foaming agent thought to be toxic to the environment, aquatic organisms and can cause skin irritation to humans.
- PEGs (Polyethylene Glycols): Can pose severe risks for groundwater supplies and aquatic life in surface water bodies.
- Formaldehyde: Toxic to marine life and is listed as a human carcinogen by the USA’s National Taxonomy Program and highly toxic to aqualfic organisms.
- Fragrances (Parfum): May contain undisclosed toxic chemicals that can irritate your skin, cause allergies, dermatitis, and other serious health issues.
- Lead: Can cause serious health issues, including high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney disease, reduced fertility, and cancer.
- Aluminum: Recent studies suggest that aluminum is linked to developing breast cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease.
How to remove makeup zero waste?
Using any of the zero waste makeup removers in this list can help remove your makeup effectively while minimizing your overall environmental impact.
They are also made of natural and organic ingredients, so you can be sure that they don’t contain harmful substances that can harm your soft skin or pollute the environment.
Furthermore, it would help if you also stopped using single-use facial pads and wipes as they are among the most wasteful products today.
And when washing your face with water, don’t leave the faucet on when you’re not using it.
Every little thing counts, and there’s plenty of ways you can remove your makeup while living a zero waste lifestyle.
Are disposable cotton pads bad for the environment?
The short answer is, Yes.
Cotton is one of the most pesticides sprayed crops in the world.
And as you may already know, pesticides contain chemicals that can pollute the environment and even poison animals.
Growing cotton also requires plenty of water and resources, including fossil-fuel, and contributes to carbon emission.
Moreover, single-use cotton pads contributes tons of waste to landfills.
What can I use instead of cotton pads to remove makeup?
A more eco-friendly option is to use facial wipes, pads, and sponges made of bamboo, natural cellulose, and other sustainable materials.
These eco-friendly cotton pad alternatives might not be perfect but they provide a more eco-friendly skincare routine.
What can I use to remove makeup instead of wipes?
Instead of using single-use wipes, use any of the zero waste makeup removers above.
You can simply just wash your face with soap and water.
What is the best makeup remover cloth?
The best makeup remover cloth are ones made with eco-friendly fabrics and sustainable materials, are reusable, washable, and biodegradable.
Zero waste makeup removers are innovative eco-friendly products that provides eco-friendly skin care routine.
They help safely remove your makeup with the least negative impact on the environment.
Anyways, have you used any of the zero waste makeup removers above? How was your experience?
Do you know other zero waste makeup removers that should be on this list?
You might also be interested in: