Having a complete kit of zero waste bathroom products can be a challenge.
You need to have plenty of options to find products that fits your preference and you need to know a reliable place to get them.
To help you achieve a 100% zero waste bathroom routine, we made an ultimate guide to all the essential zero waste bathroom products.
We promise that after reading this article, you won’t run out of zero waste bathroom swap ideas ever again.
But you might be thinking to yourself:
What is a Zero Waste lifestyle?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the “zero waste” movement promotes ideas on reducing the waste we create.
If you noticed, the main idea is waste reduction.
Hence, a zero waste lifestyle isn’t about forcing anyone to live with virtually zero trash, which is impossible, by the way.
It is more about making conscious life decisions to reduce trash in landfills, pollution, and unnecessary (wasteful) consumption of Earth’s resources.
Now that this is all clear, here’s what you can expect to find through this article.
- 10+ zero waste perfumes
- 30+ zero waste hair care products
- 40+ zero waste dental care products
- 30+ zero waste skincare products
- 20+ zero waste deodorants
- 25+ zero waste bathroom cleaning products
But there’s more!
At the end of this article, we also have an FAQ section that answers the questions most people have about zero waste bathroom products.
So without more delays, let’s take a look at your zero waste bathroom swaps options.
Zero Waste Perfumes
Zero waste perfumes are the perfect solution for anyone who wants to keep smelling seductive without creating tons of trash.
In general, zero waste perfumes have refillable containers, bottles made of recycled materials, and plastic-free packaging.
And on top of eco-friendly packaging, these perfumes are also made using sustainable, natural, and organic ingredients.
Here are 3 of the zero waste perfumes we found to be popular among conscious consumers like you.
We highlighted some of their best features.
But you can find more information and discover even more zero waste perfumes by clicking the green button that follows.
Zero Waste Perfume by Pour le Monde
- Made with certified 100% natural essential oils
- Certified cruelty-free and vegan by PETA and Leaping Bunny
- KIWI’s 2015 Natural Beauty Award Winner for Best Fragrance
- Certified with the Natural Products Association “Natural Seal”
All-Natural Perfume by Henry Rose
- Made with all-natural ingredients from sustainable sources
- Henry Rose fragrances are EWG Verified
- Cradle to Cradle Certified Gold perfume
- Member of the Breast Cancer Prevention Partners organization
Artisanal Botanical Perfume by Cūrata
- Hand-crafted with 100 percent natural fragrances
- MADE SAFE Certified perfume
- Art & Olfaction Awards of 2019 Finalist
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified and member of 1% for the Planet movement
Plastic Free Shampoo and Conditioners
Typical liquid shampoos and conditioners comes in plastic bottles and contains toxic ingredients.
Meanwhile, zero waste shampoos and conditioners are plastic-free hair care products that are made using natural and organic ingredients.
But will these products work on you?
Don’t worry because our selection includes various zero waste hair care products that works for straight, curly, colored, and all hair types.
Now, here’s some of our tip picks…
Natural Shampoo Bar by Bestowed Essentials
- Handmade in the USA using natural ingredients
- Manufactured in solar-powered facilities
- PETA certified vegan and cruelty-Free
- Aluminum container and plastic free packaging
Zero Waste Shampoo Bar by Meow Meow Tweet
- Made with pure, all-natural, and organic ingredients
- Leaping Bunny certified vegan and cruelty-free
- Free from SLS, parabens, and other toxic chemicals
- Plastic free, paper box container
Zero Waste Shampoo Bar by Ethique
- Concentrated shampoo bar made with natural ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Doesn’t contain palm oil, SLS, and other irritants
- 100% plastic free packaging
Zero Waste Hair Styling Products
Hair gels, creams, sprays and other hair styling products often comes in single-use plastic containers.
Reduce plastic waste by using zero waste hair styling products.
Here are some of the best zero waste hair styling products for a guilt-free hair style.
Personalized Natural Hair Oil by Prose
- A customizable and personalized hair oil formula
- Made with natural and ethically harvested ingredients
- Contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oils, and GMOs
- Glass bottles and plastic free packaging
Refillable Vegan Hair Gel by The Good Fill
- Formulated with certified organic and natural ingredients
- Free from SLS, parabens, gluten, dyes, and other common allergens
- It comes in a refillable and reusable container
- Unscented, vegan, and cruelty-free
Flaxseed Hair Gel by A Simple Planet
- Natural, plant-based formula with certified organic ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Contains no silicones, phthalates, parabens, artificial colors, and fragrances
- Refillable and reusable aluminum bottles
Bamboo toothbrushes allow anyone, even little kids in your family, to help reduce plastic waste.
Unlike a typical plastic toothbrush that is 100% non-biodegradable, a bamboo toothbrush is mostly biodegradable, except for the nylon bristles.
And as a matter of fact, there are even many bamboo toothbrushes today that have completely biodegradable nylon-free bristles!
We compiled the best bamboo toothbrushes in 2021 and here’s 3 of them.
100% Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrush by Gaia Guy
- Sturdy yet biodegradable bamboo handle
- Compostable bristles made with natural boar hair
- No nylon, plastic, and other petroleum materials
- Recyclable paper tube packaging
Bamboo Charcoal Toothbrush by Colgate
- Handle made with 100% natural, sustainably-grown bamboo
- BPA-free, charcoal-infused floss-tip soft bristles
- Went through (and passed) multiple quality assurance tests
- Comes in plastic free, recyclable cardboard packaging
Eco-Friendly Toothbrush for Kids by EcoFrenzy
- Made from 100% natural, sustainable and organic Moso bamboo
- Colorful BPA-free nylon bristles dyed with safe organic coloring
- Durable, water-resistant, yet completely biodegradable
- Packed in a recycled paper box
Zero Waste Toothpastes
Another essential zero waste bathroom product you must have is plastic free toothpaste.
About 1.5 billion toothpaste tubes are dumped in landfills every year, and as you may already know, most toothpastes tubes are made with plastic.
Our selected zero waste toothpastes have 100% plastic free containers.
They’re also made with natural ingredients, and free from chemicals that can harm you or the environment.
Georganics Zero Waste Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
- Made with naturally derived and organic ingredients
- Gluten-free, SLS-free, and fluoride-free
- Certified vegan and cruelty-free by PETA
- Recyclable glass container with an aluminum tin cover
Simply Sooney Organic Remineralizing Tooth Powder
- Handcrafted in the USA in ultra-small batches
- Certified organic, natural, and fluoride-free tooth powder
- Woman-owned company, vegan and cruelty-free
- 100% zero waste, plastic free packaging
Zero Waste Toothpaste Bits by Bite
- Made with natural ingredients
- Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- first-ever toothpaste tablet made with Nano-Hydroxyapatite (aka nHAp)
- Plastic-free, recyclable, glass jar container
And if you’re interested in making your own zero waste toothpaste, check out this DIY zero waste toothpaste recipe by Trash is for Tossers.
Eco-Friendly Dental Flosses
Flossing is a wasteful oral care activity.
As you already know, most conventional flosses are made with non-biodegradable materials.
They also comes in single-use plastic containers.
So it just makes sense to start using dental flosses made with sustainable and biodegradable materials with non plastic containers.
Eco-friendly dental flosses will help keep your teeth and gums healthy while reducing plastic wastes that end in our landfills.
But which eco-friendly dental floss should you use?
Organic Bamboo Charcoal Dental Floss by TreeBird
- Made with sustainable activated bamboo charcoal
- Waxed with plant-based Candelilla
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Comes with a refillable glass container
Waxed Silk Dental Floss by Etee
- Made using ethically sourced silk and Candelilla wax
- Nylon-free and biodegradable
- Comes with a reusable glass
container with a stainless steel lid
- Shipped using plastic-free and biodegradable packaging
Plant-based Dental Floss Picks by The Humble Co.
- Eco-friendly dental floss made with corn starch
- Coated with natural xylitol and mint
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Features a double threading design for enhanced teeth cleaning capabilities
Zero Waste Makeup Removers
Most of the commercial makeup removers today are packed in single-use plastic containers.
Many also contains harsh chemicals that can harm your skin and pollute the environment.
On the other hand, our selection of zero waste makeup removers provides safe, effective, and eco-friendly makeup and makeover routine.
Reusable Organic Makeup Remover Pads by Greenzla
- Made from 100% USDA certified organic, and responsibly sourced materials
- OEKO-TEX standards compliant
- Washable and reusable makeup remover pads
- Plastic-free, biodegradable and compostable
Vegan Face Cleanser & Makeup Remover Bar by Ethique
- Made with natural and plant-based ingredients
- Palm oil free, vegan and cruelty-free
- Plastic-free and compostable packaging
- 20% of Ethique’s profits are donated to projects helping protect the planet
Zero Waste Makeup Remover Cream by La Foglia
- Made in the USA using 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Free from harsh chemicals like SLS, parabens, and other irritants
- Makeup remover and a full-body moisturizer in one
- Recyclable and non-plastic container
Meanwhile, you can also make a DIY zero waste makeup remover pad following this video by SomeRandomnessByMe.
Zero Waste Deodorants
Typical deodorants are often packed in disposable single-use plastic containers.
Many of them also contain harsh chemicals and unsustainable ingredients that can harm you, your family, and our planet.
Our zero waste deodorant selection can provide you the answer to stinky pits without polluting Earth and risking your own health.
Here are three of the most eco-friendly and sustainable zero waste deodorants that are worth your while.
Plastic-Free Natural Deodorant Stick by Native
- Made using all natural ingredients
- Aluminum-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free, and vegan deodorant
- Plastic free paperboard container
- Member of the 1% for the Planet environmental movement
All-Natural Deodorant Cream by Little Seed Farm
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- Baking soda free and aluminum-free deodorant
- Packed in a recycled glass jar with a metal lid
- Manufactured using sustainable and organic practices in facilities powered 100% by solar energy
Zero Waste Deodorant Bar by Cleo+Coco
- 2020 Clean Beauty Winner for Best Odour Care
- Made with all natural ingredients
- Doesn’t contain aluminum, baking soda, parabens, and synthetic fragrances
- 100% plastic-free container and packaging
And if you’re thinking of making your own zero waste deodorant, check out this DIY vegan deodorant recipe by SustainablyVegan.
Organic and Natural Body Washes
Organic and natural body washes are among the safest and most eco-friendly skin products.
They are made without harsh chemicals that can harm you and the planet.
The organic ingredients used in these body washes are grown without fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals that pollute the environment.
Most of these body washes are also vegan, cruelty-free, and come in eco-friendly containers.
Here are some of our top picks.
Organic Sugar Body Soap by Dr. Bronner’s
- Fairtrade and USDA certified organic ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty-free body wash
- Can be used as a shampoo, face wash, laundry detergent, and safe to use on pets
- Eco-friendly container made from recycled plastic
Tea Tree Oil Body Wash by Be-One Organics
- Made using natural and USDA certified organic ingredients
- Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free and vegan body wash
- Free from paraben, sulfates, GMOs, fragrances, and other toxic chemicals
- Made in the USA
Authentic African Black Soap by Alaffia
- Made using natural and Fair Trade ingredients
- Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- Can also be used as a shampoo, shaving soap, or a facial cleanser
- Part of the company’s profits are used to support community development in Africa
And to give you plenty of options for your zero waste bathroom kit, here’s a DIY zero waste body wash recipe by Mommypotamus.
Bamboo Toilet Papers
Bamboo toilet papers are a more eco-friendly and low waste alternative than your typical TPs.
For starters, bamboos are more sustainable than wood.
Nonetheless, not all bamboo papers are created equal.
Some bamboo toilet papers are bleached with chlorine which is harmful for you and the environment, while others are packed in plastic.
So we picked the most eco-friendly bamboo toilet papers for your zero waste bathroom kit.
Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper by Smitten
- Made from sustainable sourced bamboo
- Unbleached toilet paper, lint-free, dye-free, and unscented
- Durable and super absorbent
- 100% Plastic-free packaging
Organic Bamboo Toilet Paper by Bim Bam Boo
- Made with 100% FSC Sustainable Certified bamboo plant
- Certified USDA BioPreferred Plant-Based toilet paper
- Free from BPA, formaldehyde, chlorine-bleach, and itchy glues
- Lint-free with a Money-back clog-free guarantee
Premium Bamboo Toilet Paper by Who Gives A Crap
- Made with ethically-sourced 100% bamboo fiber
- Not exposed to harsh chemicals, dyes, and artificial scents
- Packed in plastic free, recyclable cardboard box
- The company donate 50% of their profits to help build toilets for those in need
Environmentally-Friendly Drain Cleaners
Typical drain cleaners and clog removers contain harsh chemicals (like sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, or lye) that can harm aquatic organisms and irritates your skin.
But our selection of environmentally friendly drain cleaners are septic-safe and greywater safe.
They are also safe to use on all piping systems and will keep your drains clean and clog-free without putting your health and the environment at risk.
Earth Enzymes Drain Maintainer by ECOS
- Free from dyes, parabens, phosphates, or phthalates
- Non-corrosive and doesn’t cause damage to all types of drainage pipes
- Removes hairs and clogs easily yet septic safe and greywater safe
- Guaranteed safe for people, pets, and the planet
Environmentally Friendly Drain Cleaner by Earthworm
- Powered with natural enzymes
- Made safe for you, your children, and pets
- It contains no caustic chemicals that can damage pipes and plumbing systems
- Designed for all types of drain pipes, including RVs and boats
Safer Drain Opener by XIONLAB
- Non-toxic and biodegradable drain cleaner
- Septic safe, non-corrosive, and safe for all pipes
- Odorless, releases no toxic fumes, cruelty-free, and meets environmental safety standards
- Comes in a recycled plastic container
Alternatively, you can also use DIY drain cleaners as recommended by Greener Ideals.
Is going zero waste expensive?
Although, it can also depend on the zero waste products you buy for your bathroom.
But as evident on the zero waste bathroom products we have on this guide, you won’t necessarily have to break your brank to start making some zero waste bathroom swaps.
In fact, you might even save some money in the long run.
For example, using reusable makeup remover pads not only reduce waste but is also an excellent money saver.
Another is using natural body wash that can be used as shampoo, conditioner, and laundry detergent!
It all depends on your personal preference and which zero waste products you choose to use.
How can I be zero waste in the bathroom?
As we discussed in the start of this article, a zero waste lifestyle doesn’t necessarily mean having to live with literally zero waste.
It’s all about making conscious decisions and buying the products that will reduce waste, pollution, and are made with sustainable ingredients.
Hence, switching to any of zero waste bathroom products on this list takes you to the right path towards a zero waste bathroom routine.
Does a zero waste lifestyle really make a difference?
It will if you want it to.
But based on our experience, we managed to cut off a considerable amount of plastic use and waste by adopting a zero waste lifestyle.
We are sure that other people can also tell you the same.
But in the end, you’ll have to do it yourself to see.
How can I make my bathroom plastic free?
We know that it is hard to completely rid of plastic in our lives.
But we can make small changes in our daily bathroom routine and start from there.
You can start by getting shampoos and conditioners that doesn’t come in plastic containers.
Then, start looking for deodorants, body wash, soaps, and other bathroom essentials that comes in plastic free containers as well.
We are certain that by now, you’ve already got plenty of plastic free bathroom products alternative after reading this article.
Final Thoughts on Zero Waste Bathroom Products
We might not even realize it, but we are actually using tons of bathroom products that creates so much trash and pollution.
But with the right resource on the necessary zero waste bathroom swaps, we can significantly reduce our negative impact to the planet effectively starting today.
We hope this guide has been useful for you to accomplish that.
All the zero waste bathroom products we recommend here creates significantly less trash and pollution compared to the conventional bathroom products.
Anyways, which of the zero waste bathroom products above will you get first?
Which of them are already in your bathroom?
And if you know more zero waste bathroom swaps that weren’t included here, let us know so we can add it as well.
You might also be interested in: